Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Coffee Shop Reviews: Figaro Coffee Company - Ayala Center Cebu

As an online freelance worker, I can work just about anywhere as long as the place has a good internet connection and a corner to settle in comfortably while I work on my projects. While many of the freelancers I know like to work at home, I cannot seem to do the same thing. Due to this, I normally work inside a coffee shop or co-working space in and around the city. The Queen City of the South has a good number of coffee shops where online freelance workers can work. This is a review of one of the coffee shops I visited in the city, Figaro Coffee Company at the Terraces of Ayala Center Cebu.

Coffee, Coffee Beans, Figaro Coffee Company
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page
I used to pass Figaro on my way to the Terraces branch of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (CBTL). I never really considered it as a place where I can work since I thought they did not have any internet connection. Well, I was wrong. The place was actually the last place I went to since I had a deadline to meet and the other coffee shops I visited were already full.

Internet Connection

When I first came to Figaro, the internet connection was fast enough for me. I only access the internet when I needed to access my email and upload documents for my clients. In fact, I even considered making it my second choice whenever I find myself at the Ayala Center Cebu (my first choice has always been the new wing location of CBTL).  While the internet was fast when I first came in, it eventually slowed down at around 5:00 PM. This is understandable since there were already a lot of people accessing their network. But, on my second visit, I was rather dismayed since I could not connect to the internet. In fact, the connection was nearly as bad as another place at the mall. While I was able to connect after they restarted their network, it got disconnected after a few minutes.

Figaro Coffee Company Signage
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page
Good thing I had a backup plan, but it would have been better if I was able to connect to the internet using their network. While I do understand that they are running a restaurant and would not want to have guests staying hours on end, they could have limited their internet access to two hours like what they are doing at Bo’s Coffee.

Power Outlets

The place has a good number of outlets scattered all over the restaurant. In fact, it had more power outlets than the new wing branch of CBTL. But, the thing is, some of these outlets were out of order during my second visit. From what I can see, the place only had four sets of functional power outlets at that time. The two sets of outlets close to the entrance were not functional.

Location

Since Figaro is located at the Ayala Center Cebu, it is quite accessible to anyone from the northern and southern part of Cebu. You can simply get on a jeepney bound for the mall. You can get off at the jeepney terminal of the mall or at the different jeepney stops outside. The store is located at the second level of the mall close to the activity center. It is also right across the Ayala branch of Bo’s Coffee.
Ayala Center Cebu, Ayala, Mall
Image Credits: Ayala Center Cebu Facebook Page

Food and Drinks

The food offered at Figaro is not limited to the typical coffee shop fare since they also offer meals that you can find in restaurants. Their menu items include All-Day Breakfast Items and their Figaro a la Carte items, among others. Their coffee is also rather cheap compared to the other coffee shops in the mall. The biggest size of the Americano, which is what I always order, is only PHP114. In comparison, the largest size of the Americano at Bo’s Coffee and CBTL costs PHP135 and PHP145, respectively. But, you should also consider that the largest size of the Americano at Figaro is somewhat smaller than the ones you can find in the two other coffee shops I mentioned. The prices of their other drinks range from PHP85 for the small brewed coffee up to PHP160 for their large frappes.
Coffee, Figaro Coffee Company
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page

Drinks, Cake
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page
The place offers a good selection of items on their menu at a rather reasonable price. Their Figaro a la Carte items are cheaper compared to similar items at other coffee shops. The PHP249 price tag is rather reasonable considering you get the Dory Provencal, Tuscan Chicken, or Sweet Coffee Pork Chop, which comes with a salad and pasta. The Figaro a la Carte also comes with a choice of a 12 oz Iced Coffee, Iced Tea or 8 oz brewed coffee. You can choose from a number of breakfast items for the All-Day Breakfast, including the Classic Corned Beef, Marinated Belly, and Ham & Cheese Pandesal, among others. The All-Day Breakfast items cost between PHP145 for the Ham & Cheese Pandesal and PHP190 for the Classic Corned Beef. In addition, their All-Day Breakfast items already come with coffee. I was able to try their tuna macaroni salad during my first visit, and it was rather appetizing. It was also a bigger portion than what I expected, and was priced at PHP159. The prices of their other menu item starts at PHP135 for the Grilled Vegetables with Cheese up to PHP249 for their Figaro a la Carte items.

Tuna Macaroni Salad, Salad, Macaroni, Tuna
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page

Figaro A La Carte, Food, Figaro
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page

Customer Service

While I only visited the Ayala location of Figaro twice, I can say the baristas at the place are rather courteous and helpful. I can also say the same thing about the baristas at the Cebu IT Park location of the store even though I only visited the place once. And I did not go there to work, but to meet with a couple of freelancers. One thing I noticed, they can improve on showing concern about issues their customers encounter when inside the store. While they restarted their network after I told them I could not to the internet, no one came over to ask whether I was able to connect to the internet already. In comparison, the baristas at CBTL would approach you and ask if you were able to connect to the internet already after you brought the connection issue with them. But, in general, the baristas at the Figaro Coffee Company were rather accommodating and ready to assists their customers whenever they needed some assistance.

Figaro Coffee Company
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page
The Ayala location of Figaro is open from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM from Sunday to Thursday and 10:00 AM to 12:00 AM on Friday and Saturday.  The best time to drop by Figaro is in the morning and after the lunch rush since the place is not crowded during these times. When the clock strikes 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM, you can expect people to start coming into the place.

Food, Figaro Coffee Company
Image Credits: Figaro Coffee Company Facebook Page
While I considered it as my second option when I find myself in Ayala, my second visit to Figaro has made me think twice of putting it on the top of my list. For the moment, the place is probably in the middle of the list of coffee shops I will visit when I need to finish up some work while at the mall mainly due to their somewhat inconsistent internet connection. But, when you think about the food they offer, it is one place I wouldn’t mind staying for a while with good book on one hand.

Have you checked out the Ayala location of the Figaro Coffee Company already? Tell me about your experience on the comments section below.



Disclaimer: This review is based on my personal experience. If you have any comments, suggestions and not-so-violent reactions, please sit down and gather your thoughts before writing them down and editing them on the comment box below. Rocks, rocks in the heavens, whoever gets angry will have Mr. Murphy to deal with.

2 comments: