Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Coffee Shop Reviews: Tom N Tom’s Coffee

While checking my Twitter account, I saw a tweet of a former student showing he was at a coffee shop in the Mabolo area. I immediately asked him about the place. Well, I actually asked just two questions online freelance workers can relate to: How was their internet connection and do they have outlets at the coffee shop. My former student tweeted back that they had a lot of outlets, but he did not use their internet. So, I thought to myself, I should try the place out.

Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

The Place

The coffee place in question is Tom N Tom’s Coffee at The Greenery. When the place opened around a year ago, I used to hear its ad over the radio. While I thought about checking the place out at that time, I did not really get to bring myself there. Probably because it was somewhat out of the way for me. But, I finally decided to go to the place after checking out a hole-in-the-wall place in the Lahug area.

Inside Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
Tom N Tom’s Coffee is a coffee shop right along Archbishop Reyes Avenue. It is open 24/7, so if you need to work on something just before the sun rises over the east, it is one place you can visit. The air-conditioning of the place is just right. It is cold enough for me, but not too cold that I would need to go to the comfort room every so often. They also have a second floor dining area where you can opt to stay if you want to people-watch. 

Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

Internet connection

When I arrived at Tom N Tom’s Coffee, the first question I asked was where their outlets were located (typical freelancer question). After the barista pointed out the location of the outlet, I then asked if they had free internet (another typical freelancer question). The barista answered yes. So, I tried out the place. Similar to Bo’s Coffee, Tom N Tom’s Coffee limits internet use to two hours for each purchase of their product. But, it may be necessary for them to make it possible for their customers to know how much time they have left since the log-in page immediately disappears once you connect to their network. 

People at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
The internet was actually good. But, there were some instances when it would slow down, which is understandable especially when a lot of people are using their network.  Good thing I always bring my back-up. So, by the time my two hour allotment was used up, I immediately took it out and continued working. Due to this, it is always advisable to bring a back up. You can either get a Smart Bro ZTE Pocket Wi-Fi or the Globe Tattoo 4G Superstick Wireless Broadband. You may also want to get this bundled deal with the Huawei Pocket Wifi.

Huawei Pocket WiFi deal
Image Credits: Lazada website

Power Outlets

When my former student tweeted that Tom N Tom’s Coffee had a good number of outlets, I thought it was like the WorkPlace Café or Coffee Bean $cent where you can find outlets in nearly all corners of the place. But, when I went there, I did not immediately see the outlets. It was only after I asked where the outlets were located when I found one. Well, the place does have outlets, but I only saw two or three. It may be possible the outlets were hidden or something. The power outlet I used was actually an extension cord place on their display rack. If you plan on working there, it would be good to go there early so you can find the most strategic position at the place.

Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facade
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

The Location

Tom N Tom’s Coffee is located at The Greenery along Archbishop Reyes Avenue. If you are coming from the north, you can hop on a jeepney going to the Mabolo Church area. Once you reach Mabolo Church, get on a jeepney marked 04L or the one headed for Cebu IT Park. Just tell the driver to let you off at The Greenery. You can already see Tom N Tom’s Coffee once you get off the jeepney. 

Have a Cup of Coffee at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
For those coming in from the south, you can get on a jeepney headed for Apas, Cebu or the ones marked 17B, 17C and 17D. You can get off at the corner after The Walk and start hiking to the Mabolo area along Archbishop Reyes Ave. It’s probably a kilometer or two away from this point.  If you are coming from the Ayala Center Cebu, you can get on the jeepney plying the Ayala – Lahug route or the one marked 04M. You can get off near the corner under the flyover. From here, you can hike towards Mabolo along Archbishop Reyes Avenue. The place is located on the left side of the road.

Bagels at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
For me, Tom N Tom’s Coffee is somewhat out of the way since the fastest way for me to reach the place is to hike a bit before getting there (which may actually be good for my health since I get a good exercise on the way to the coffee shop). But, if I go the long way around, I won’t have to hike at all.

Food items at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

The Food

When I went to Tom N Tom’s Coffee, I did not order their food since I just came from a hole-in-the-wall eating place close to the IT Park. But, after checking their menu, there were some items that I may try if I ever get myself to take that long walk or long ride to get to the place. I might try their Breakfast Bagel and their Italiano Pretzel. 

More food at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
Prices at Tom N Tom’s Coffee are similar to the prices at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. The large Mocha TomNccino I bought was PHP175. While it is PHP10 cheaper than a similar product offered at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, the other products at Tom N Tom’s had the same price as the ones offered at the said coffee shop. The process for their other drinks range from PHP 115 for the Tall Americano up to PHP190 Green Tea TomNCcino. On the other hand, their food items cost between PHP100 for the Plain Pretzel and PHP365 for the Garlic Butter Bread. 

Counter at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

I did not notice any other sandwiches aside from their bagels on the menu nor pasta items, which are offered in some other coffee shops in the city. They do have a good selection of cakes and pastries that go well with coffee.

Have some cake and eat it too at Tom N Tom’s Coffee
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page

Customer service

When it comes to customer service, I liked the way they greet their customers as well as their jovial disposition. In fact, they were smiling all throughout the ordering process. I am hoping they will continue this level of customer service even after they already have a number of years under its belt. But, as of the moment, it’s probably one of the places where their baristas are all in high spirits. 

Tom N Tom’s Coffee at The Greenery
Image Credits: Tom N Tom’s Coffee Facebook Page
To sum it up, I like the internet connection of Tom N Tom’s Coffee. It was quite fast compared to some other coffee shops I tried in the city. While I only ordered their Mocha TomNccino, it was still good. It was comparable to the Ice-Blended Mocha of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and the Mocha Froccino of Bo’s Coffee. They may have to add more food items on their menu if they want to attract more people into the place.  But, since it is a coffee shop, you would not expect them to do so. Their menu items actually go well with their drinks. Overall, I would consider Tom N Tom’s Coffee as one of the places I would visit if I ever needed to work late at night or before dawn breaks over the horizon.




Disclaimer: This review is based on my personal experience. If you have any comments, suggestions and not-so-violent reactions, please sit down and gather your thoughts before writing them down and editing them on the comment box below. Rocks, rocks in the heavens, whoever gets angry will have Mr. Murphy to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment