Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jack Of All Trades - Master Of All

Jack Of All Trades - Master Of All
Jack Of All Trades - Master Of All
Ever since I became a full-time online freelance worker, I have concentrated on one particular skill where I basically get most of my income. I offer article-writing services to my potential clients who may be too busy to work on the content of their websites themselves.

Concentrating on one skill is good but it is better for you to have at least two or three other skills that you can use for your web-based career. I learned this the hard way as one of my bigger contracts ended, which took a big bite on my cash flow.

Although I intended to learn another skill while working online, I have not gotten myself to do it due to the volume of work that came my way. After that big contract ended, I tried to look for other similar jobs over the net but found the budget offered by the clients too low compared to my previous contract. A number of these jobs were also not quite cost-effective.

I would have wanted to apply for other jobs that required a different skill set that I currently have, however I do not want to disappoint any client that might hire me for these jobs. Due to this, I would have to wait for other jobs that require the skills I currently have.

If you plan to become a full-time online freelance worker, it is very much advisable for you to have at least four skills that you can offer to online clients. It would even be better if these skills complement each other. For example, if you are an article writer, it would be good if you know Search Engine Optimization or SEO, a little bit of webpage design, and probably image editing. 

If given the choice, I would have wanted to learn programming and webpage design way back in college. However, it's no use crying over spilled milk so I guess I will have to make do with the skills I currently have. 

Although I have more free time that I can handle, I cannot afford to attend a class or workshop on any of the skills that I want to acquire. So for the moment, I would have to look for other online jobs suitable to the skills I currently have.

It is also advisable for you to be able to master the skills you aim to offer to your online clients. When you master these skills, you will have the confidence in applying for any job requiring these skills. While it may take some time for you to master these skills, all of your hard work will pay off in the end. You will have a constant flow of jobs up to a point where clients will be looking for you instead of the other way around.

Working online full-time is a huge leap of faith, and I hope you will have the courage to do this if you intend to enter the world of an online freelance  worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment